Friday, July 22, 2011

A Difficult but Graced Morning with the Missionaries of Charity in Kibera


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

“The poor do not need our condescending attitude or our pity. They only need our love and our tenderness.” –Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

“This morning we headed to the Missionaries of Charity, the religious order founded by Mother Teresa.  The agenda was to interact with the patients, young women (ages 14-40) who suffered from neurological disorders.   I knew this going in and thought I could ‘handle it.’ But I was not prepared for the reality of what I saw. Initially, I began greeting the women around the courtyard – I wanted to make sure I spoke with everyone. I held their hands, looked into their eyes, and said Hi or Jambo.  Some could express their feelings with a smile and others couldn’t respond.  This was for the first ten minutes. Then I looked around and an emotion overwhelmed me. I couldn’t and still can’t conceptualize it yet. I needed air! A friend and I walked out and hugged in tears. No words were said, just a silent understanding.” –Viviane Russo

The visit to the Missionaries of Charity Center is always a cherished experience for St Monica’s pilgrims to Africa.  We began the morning early, leaving our hotel at 5:30am to make our way to the Missionaries of Charity in time for morning Mass.  The early wake-up call is worth it for such a gentle celebration of the Eucharist.  The Sisters knelt on the floor but welcomed us to join them there or on benches in the back of the room.  It is truly glorious to pray in a room filled with Sisters singing harmonies with such heart and spirit.
After Mass, we visited the local Holy Cross formation house, where we were hosted by Fr Pat Neary (whom you might know from Thanksgivings past at St Monica) and several seminarians.  After a hearty breakfast, we returned to the Missionaries of Charity Center where we visited with the young women Viviane mentioned.  These women were primarily born with neurological disorders such as encephalitis, due to the malnutrition of their mothers.  Their families have typically either died or abandoned them to the Sisters’ care.

Viviane’s reflection alludes to how overwhelming the poverty is in Nairobi.  In that room, we tried to be present to each of the young women.  But we were overwhelmed by the great number of women who were there, and the extent to which they appeared to be suffering.  And this was just a small snapshot compared to all the people suffering physically, emotionally, and spiritually in Dandora and Kibera (the area of Nairobi where the Missionaries of Charity is).  One reason many of us came to Dandora was to find out how we can help ease the suffering in the world.  Days like today test our hearts.  How can we imagine making even a dent in trying to improve the world?  The temptation is to leave overwhelmed by a sense of pity and powerlessness, but the words of Blessed Teresa remind us that Jesus calls us to be present to the poor and the suffering—to simply pour out love and compassion on them, and to offer up our questions and anxieties to God who can bring us peace instead.

Fortunately, I also found some hope in this visit with the Sisters.  I had been praying for one of the young women, Gokey, since I met her two years ago.  Then, she smiled and groaned in response to my trying to clap and dance with her in her wheelchair.  I didn’t know if she would even be alive today.  When I went to her side, I told her how much I had been looking forward to seeing her.  She erupted with more sounds and a huge smile, and she even spoke some words, responding to my questions and sharings with “fine” and “yeah,” something she could not do two years ago.

As our visit neared its conclusion, it was lunchtime for the young women.  We were handed aprons and plates with rice, avocado, meat, and potatoes, and we began to feed our new friends.  The Sisters did not say too much to us—they just empowered us to help by pushing us right to work.  As Delis shared with us:  Mother Teresa was not concerned with her volunteers’ spiritual experience of working with the poor—we were not there for us; we were there for them.  In a similar vein, we were not allowed to take photographs in the room, so as not to exploit the women nor bring pride to the Sisters.  Fortunately, we will walk away with our memories of sharing this beautiful morning with the Sisters of Charity and the women they serve. –AF

1 comment:

  1. Hello Viv!
    I am so proud of you and Mike. I was so touched to read both of your postings. You two are so blessed to be on this amazing journey. Immerse yourself in all the raw emotion the lord has gifted you to experience. Life will not be the same after this trip, your heart will be even more open, more kind. Gabriel and I are praying for everyone's safe return home. Can't wait to hear about EVERYTHING. Love - Phyllis

    ReplyDelete